Thursday, December 26, 2013

Yes, Virginia

I'll be filling Virginia in on my map very soon. The quilts I made for this month aren't quite done, but they're close enough for me to put up a few pictures.


I had a box of small scraps of the very rare Heather Ross' "Mendocino" fabric line that I bought on eBay a few years ago and have been jealously hoarding. I couldn't figure out what pattern would allow me to use tiny cuts but still show off the beautiful prints. And then, this summer, Red Pepper Quilts posted a tutorial for a square-in-a-square or "economy" block.


This block was perfect - my beloved scraps could share the stage with some great coordinating prints and beautiful solids. So I made enough for not one, but two baby blankets.


So many, in fact, that I was able to divide them up by color - one quilt would have more of the brown/peach blocks (with some blue, but hopefully not too much!)...


And the second would have more purple and yellow blocks.


My friend in Virginia chose the yellow and purple quilt, which will be backed with yellow minky and bordered with brown ruffles. The brown/peach quilt will go to another mom friend whose sons take karate with my girls. Both friends are having girls in January.


The brown/peach quilt was finished with an off-white minky backing and pale pink silky pleated edges.

They're so close to being done that I can taste it - but I need a few days to clean out my machine - the mental kind, and the literal giant sewing machine that makes all these quilts possible. This is probably the last post of 2014, but I'll be back in about a week to recap, and hopefully show off two quilts for two lovely 2014 babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment