Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012: Yearlong stash-busting challenge

In 2011, I decided to teach myself how to quilt, and I gave myself a challenge to create one quilt per month.


For a whole year, I made quilts, pillows, potholders and place mats. I got to know the basics of quilting, and I was feeling pretty confident.

I also bought fabric. Lots of fabric. So much fabric. I went to local quilt shops, haunted Jo-Ann, surfed Fabric.com, bid on rare fabrics on eBay, and cruised my grandma's stash of vintage fabric. I loved everything, and I bought everything. My husband noticed that I had amassed more fabric than I could ever use, and he put his foot down. I mean, he "gave me a challenge." In the year of 2012, I am going to continue my one-quilt-a-month goal, but I am not allowed to buy fabric. I can buy thread, batting, tools, whatever it takes to complete a quilt. But no fabric.

After much wheedling, I got my husband to agree to a slight allowance: if things get really desperate, I am allowed to buy solid white fabric for sashing, but only after I've made every effort to use fabric that I already have.

At the end of the year...I don't know what happens. I'd like to think that I'll get to go on a glut of spending and come home with fabulous bundles of solids, dots, stripes, blenders....

But chances are, I'll go well into 2013 on the stash I have.

So, for today, the first day of 2012, I was able to create a small project from stash. My darling daughter is still at an age where she thinks I can do anything, and always has requests for things I can make for her. She got an Aladdin doll for Christmas, and clearly, he and Jasmine needed a Magic Carpet to fly on. And when my girl bats her eyes and reminds me that she has a birthday coming up, how can I refuse her?


At this point, she put her hands on her hips and said "It doesn't look like that in the movie." Hey, kid. You're about to discover a whole new world...of pain.


You asked for a mini quilted version of an elaborate CGI Persian rug. This is what it's gonna look like.


Aladdin and Jasmine don't seem to have any complaints. And neither do I, because I think it came out great.


That's one project, from stash.

No comments:

Post a Comment